Anul trecut, în mijlocul lunii decembrie, am fost contactați de către Paweł Mirski din partea Comitetului de Conservare a Acvilelor (Komitet Ochrony Orłów) din Polonia. Ne-a cerut să căutăm un codalb (Haliaeetus albicilla), echipat în Polonia cu transmițător satelitar, care în cursul hoinăritului din perioada de iarnă a ajuns pe teritoriul României, în zona de frontieră din vestul țării. Transmițătorul a trimis date timp de trei zile consecutive din aceeași locație din comuna Dorobanţi (județul Arad), fapt care a sugerat că, pasărea a murit sau, eventual, transmițătorul s-a desprins de aceasta.

This winter we have been contact more often than ever before by people who seeing White Storks on the field or on the nest. They call to ask for our help to save the bird. But mostly these birds are healthy and they don`t need our help.

On Sunday, the 24th of August we have managed to safely release an adult female bear from a snare set by poachers. We were announced on late Saturday evening by the County-level Hunting Association (AJVPS Mures) about the snared bear, and we arrived on the scene early Sunday morning. The rescue operation was carried out in cooperation with specialists from the Mures County Hunting Association and veterinarian assistance provided by VETS 4 WILD.

Fortunately, the bear escaped unharmed – the snare was caught around her waist and there were no real wounds on the animal (except some superficial scratches on her belly). Tranquilization went smoothly, and after we have cut her free from the snare, she was thoroughly examined for possible wounds – luckily, there were none. Afterwards, she has also received a GPS-GSM collar. With the aid of this equipment, from now on we can continuously monitor her movements and the way she uses her habitat.

On the afternoon of September 24 (exactly one month after a similar intervention) we have managed to safely release yet another adult female bear from a snare set by poachers in our bear project’s hillside target area. We were announced by the local hunting association and we arrived on the scene a few hours later. The bear was caught very close to a village, on the bank of a small river. The rescue operation was carried out in cooperation with members of the local hunting association, while the veterinarian assistance was provided by Vets4Wild.

Tranquilization went swiftly and without any incidents. Fortunately, the large female escaped mostly unharmed – the snare was caught around her chest and there were no real wounds on the animal. However, she did break and lose one of her lower canines as she chewed on the snare’s cable and broke the surrounding trees. After she fell asleep from the administered drugs, we actually needed to pull her out with a 4WD car, as six of us could not move her (she was very heavy and she was also jammed between some trees). We managed to pull her on a small trailer and before nightfall, we took her some kilometers up in the forest, away from the village and human activity.

Each year, raptor specialists from Milvus Group check nests in the breeding period. The primary aims are to ascertain the breeding status of the birds, to ring the chicks and to determine the threats to successful breeding.  On the 25th of June the specialists visited the nest of a pair of Golden Eagles (Aquila chrysaetos), where they found an unpleasant scene. The original nest in a scots pine had fallen from its position, most likely due to damage caused by a storm. Fortunately, the chick was still alive, living in a part of the nest that had caught on the lower branches. The specialists assessed that the remains of the nest will not survive another storm and, as the life of the chicks was in danger, they decided to help it. They took the Golden Eagle chick to the Rehabilitation Centre from Tîrgu Mureș, where the veterinarian examined it, finding that the chick was in good shape. The following day they took it back to the nesting area. The team mounted an artificial nest in the place of the original nest and, after ringing the chick, put it in the new nest. When the ornithologists left the parent Golden Eagles were already there and watching their chick. After a just a month the chick had already been spotted flying.